19
Jul

Wedding planning: t-minus 17 days

So, an update:

 

I have not uploaded my pump data to Carelink since last week when I promised myself I would (I blame Pokemon GO for this one).

Yesterday I ran out of insulin again overnight so I carried around a bottle for about 18hrs and took shots by syringe every few hours. Forgot to disconnect my pump, so I kept it connected too. I really only needed it nearby for the cgm, but didn't clue in that I could yank out the no-longer-useful infusion set.

Tonight I had two bowls of soup, three slices of pizza, a veggie wrap, and four glasses of wine for dinner. & no, I'm not done yet. It is 9pm.

 

It's official; wedding planning is getting to me. On the plus side, no scary-need-help-to-treat lows, no ketones-and-puking highs in a while so...that's a good sign? Silver linings, anyone?

3
Mar

Bubbles!

I want to ask Medtronic what they recommend when pump-users find laaaaarge air bubbles in their tubing.

Bolusing it out (while disconnected, of course!) might work, but it will count all of that insulin as IOB/Active Insulin, which can severely mess with bolus or correction calculations for the next 4 hours.

Re-priming it isn't as simple as it seems. In order to re-prime you have to let the cartridge rewind, which requires removing the reservoir from the pump.
Problems with this:
1) The little plastic nubbins that lock the reservoir into place tend to break off when the reservoir is removed from the pump. I have not found a way to be gentle enough to keep them attached while removing the reservoir.

2) It counts this re-prime as a set change, which will skew data on how frequently set changes occur.

 

 

This issue was particularly frustrating on Friday, as my workday started with a LOW RESERVOIR alarm on my pump.

I checked my settings, and - grrrrr - I was a day overdue for a set change. I guess the set had just been comfortable enough that I didn't notice I was on day 3 on Thursday. The LOW RES alarm wasn't a problem though, as it triggers the alarm when I've still got 20 units left in my reservoir, and 20 units is more than enough for basal insulin over my workday plus a lunchtime bolus for food.

The story doesn't end there, though!

Not long after the low res alarm, I visited the bathroom and had a chance to actually look at my infusion set (it was sitting in the top of my thigh). I was quite surprised (and more than a little upset) to notice that my tubing was decorated with tiny spots and differently-coloured flecks. Closer inspection revealed that I actually had some pretty huge air bubbles all along the length of my tubing.

I removed my reservoir (breaking one of the two tiny clips in the process) and restarted the set, which allowed me to re-prime my tubing... but by then I was down a few more units of insulin in my pump. By the end of my workday, sitting there with only 4.4 units left in my pump had me a bit on edge. Grrr!

Back to Top